Friday, October 26, 2012

No Ice Fishing This Winter



Last January I learned a tough lesson about ice. If blanketed with the rigth kind of snow, it can be open even on calm water and sub-zero temperature.

I took one step too many into an open hole covered and completely hidden by about three inches of thick snow. In an instant I had raked the sharp edge of the ice over my shin which came to a high impact stop just below the kneecap.

Now, eight months later, I have learned I need knee replacement. The damage from the fall, now healed, aggravated and accelerated arthritis that was already at work.

In advance of surgery I need to do physical therapy and lose a lot of weight. Venturing out back on the ice this winter would be more than foolish.

I will miss the fishing, but I would miss being able to walk at all should I endure another fall.

When I get well and back on snow covered ice, it will always be with a metal probe.

No comments:

Post a Comment