Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Big Bass Coming Soon!



The photo above is not me, and that's not my fish...but I caught one very much like it.

Last fall I caught a very nice 22 inch largemouth bass "on an area lake." I had actually caught him a number of times the past few years, but this day I decided it was time to fill the last remaining open spot on the den wall.

I agonize over taking a trophy and have released many. I rationalized last fall the bass was about to pass from old age anyway. This is probably not the least bit true, but it was the best I could come up with.

The normal wait with our local taxidermist is a bit over six months. Why so long? First, deer season has intervened and soaked up a lot of his time. Second, he has a lot of fish because he does a great job. It's worth the wait to get the job done right. That's why I strongly recommed the good folks at North Country Taxidermy Studio in Hazlehurst, WI, They have done three trophies for us so far, working on the fourth, and each has been first rate.

My wife was not 100% onboard with me mounting the largemouth. She said it was because taxidermiy is expensive. But truth is, for the past nine years, her bass has been the largest on the den wall.  In about five weeks her's will have serious competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment